If you know what those two names mean in my title, you are ahead of most of the world in the knowledge of the names and attributes that God has.
Names, you ask? His name is Jesus, the Name above all names, the Holy of Holies, the Lord of Lords. However, like even we humans do, He has other names (nicknames?) that declare a variety of His attributes.
For instance, I’ve been called “Red” because my hair is red. I am also called “Half-Pint” because of my small size. Although they are not officially my names, those nicknames describe me and act as affectionate ways to address me. (Atleast… I’d like to think my brother-in-law Justin is being affectionate when he calls me “Half-Pint”…sometimes, I’m not sure….😉 jk)
Jesus has many attributes demonstrated throughout the Bible. Doing a study on the attributes of God is one of my favorite Bible studies of all times. He not only demonstrates these attributes in the Word but in the everyday lives of His children as well. If you’re a believer, I’m sure you will agree. God demonstrates His character–His mercy, His grace, His love– to us daily. Without it, I’m sure I wouldn’t have made it this far in life.
Well, recently, the Lord has continually been demonstrating two very certain attributes to me. As you know, I’ve recently talked about having very little hours tutoring since the holidays (I talk about it here.). I then talked about how God has been providing us with a variety of opportunities 1. for me to stay busy 2. for me to bring in some cash.
I have a hard naming all of these things out as if I’m to praise for these things. Please don’t view this list of God’s provisions as having to do anything with me! God is the One who raises up kings and brings down princes. He is the One to be praised. After, He is Jehovah Jireh, the Provider.
That’s what that means: Jireh = Provider. I’m so excited to say I know that firsthand, to say I know that characteristic, that attribute of the Lord because of His demonstration in the Bible, yes, but more-directly, in my own life! Praise Him for His provision!
The ways He’s provided:
- Adam and I live within walking distance of Adam’s work and I work from home … no gas money needed for work.
- I’ve booked a Pampered Chef event — more details to come — in February and a few others for months to come!
- I’ve recently picked up tutoring for 3 local 2nd-graders and an overseas, high school missionary (11th grade).
- I’ve been in contact with numerous companies doing food reviews on gluten-free products. This is a blessing because it advances my writing and offers some neat opportunities to test food products.
- We live 2 1/2 miles from the private gym that I run at. Simple pleasure? It’s free to me because of our involvement with the fire department.
- I’ve managed to not go grocery shopping since December 4th. (This doesn’t count random trips to the store to get ice cream or fresh veggies.) This is partially because of the numerous deer we got this hunting season. God provides!
- I was unable to pay for my medicine for my ulcerative colitis (It’d be over $800!) and the Lord provided enough “samples” of the medication to last me ’til my next appointment in April!
If you’re not wow’ed by that provision, I don’t know what will wow you. I’m extremely thankful and hope that this causes you to praise the Lord with me!
God is not only the Provider as demonstrated in my own life as well as the Bible, but He is the Healer as well. In September, I was diagnosed with mono. As any of you who have had that know, mono stays within your body for a long time. You can be sick for months with that illness, and there’s always a chance that it can come back. Well, has now been a few months for me since diagnosis, and I’m completely healthy! I’ve even managed to avoid a good number of illnesses circulating our local community, church, and family.
On a more serious note, it has been two years now that I’ve suffered from ulcerative colitis. I’ve tried so many things as I fought off a yeast infection invading my stomach and so many other side-affects of this lifelong “chronic illness”. As I mentioned in my records of God’s provision, God has allowed us to be blessed with a “sample” of the medication needed to help my system with this self-attacking illness. It’s the only medication that I’ve seen/felt a difference with.
I’m happy to announce that I’m now two days into a much different intestinal activity lifestyle. Although that sounds vague, I don’t know if you’d like all the details into the symptoms of ulcerative colitis, but know that, for the first time in over two years, I’m no longer bleeding rectally. Gross, right? God is Jehovah Rapha, the Healer.
Which of His characteristics/attributes has He been demonstrating in your life recently?
Don’t know this God? Email me @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call me @ 607-765-1000. I’d love to share Him with you!